**Edited** You don't have to start this overnight. I have been doing the "Night Before" steps first thing in the morning and then adding the rest to the crockpot at lunch, and it turns out great. Just keep the crockpot on high for the first step, and sometimes I keep it on high the whole time depending on how quickly the water is absorbing.
This is a recipe my friend, Josh, made for us and we all loved it. It's very easy (just dump everything in a crockpot), but you have to plan ahead and start it the night before. I make some substitutions based on what I have easy access to, so I'll list the original recipe as well as my modifications.
The Night Before:
Add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low overnight.
4 c. water
1 c. Urad Dal (this is a kind of lentils. I have used regular lentils instead and it tastes great)
1/2 c. red kidney beans (if you are using dried beans, boil them first for 10 min.; I use canned)
2 T Channa Dal (another kind of lentil. I just add two more T of regular lentils)
2 T Ghee (which is clarified butter... I just use butter)
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T Ginger Garlic Paste (Can buy it in the store or just mince up equal parts of garlic and ginger)
Kashmiri Chili Powder (this is spicy Indian chili powder. I got some at an Indian market, but you could just use regular chili powder and add hot sauce when you serve it to spice it up)
4-6 Hours before Serving:
Add these ingredients. If it looks really thick, you may need to add another cup or water or so to keep it from sticking to your crockpot.
1 c. tomato paste
2 T. fenugreek leaves (I leave these out because I have never been able to find them)
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. anchoor (green mango powder. I bought this at an Indian market, but you could probably find it at a spice store like Penzey's).
1 t. coriander
1/2 t. black salt (which is surprisingly not black... it's pink. You can also use regular salt)
1/2 t. onion powder
2-3 T. butter
Before serving:
Add a pinch of garam masala (optional) and 1/2 c. milk
Serve over rice with naan on the side.
No comments:
Post a Comment