I know most people have a go-to meatball recipe. What I liked about this is that it stretches the ground beef by adding high-fiber bulgur. They were really good, and we were able to make 1 lb. of meat stretch to two meals. We served them one night as meatball hoagies and the next night over spaghetti. I also found this one on Eating Well.
Ingredients:
1/3 c. bulgur (found near the flour in the baking aisle)
1/2 c. hot water
4 oz. lean ground beef
4 oz. hot Italian sausage (I didn't use the sausage and just doubled the ground beef)
1 med. onion finely chopped
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 c. fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (I just used store-bought)
Directions
1. combine bulgur and water in small bowl. Let stand until bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 min.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil. (I just put them on the baking sheet).
3. Combine beef, sausage, onion, egg whites, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and soaked bulgur in a large bowl. Mix well. Form 1-in meatballs (about 24).
4. Bake 25 min. Blot well with paper towel.
No comments:
Post a Comment